1 February 2012

Taking the next step...sewing wise! The Bag Part 1...

Spurred on from the cute owls I have finally opened my copy of Cath Kidston's "Patch" and got as far as step 7. The original pattern and materials allows you to make either a dresden plate cushion or (as I have chosen) a dresden plate tote bag. The book came with enough materials to make a one-sided unlined tote bag...and as you know by now, I love to tweak things and make them my own. So I used yet more of the fabric from M is for make to duplicate the flower design on the other side of the bag. I'm currently thinking I prefer this side than the original one...









This is the side I prefer...the trickiest bit so far was actually more time-consuming than tricky, tacking the petals to paper inserts to get the shape sorted.






The original design...After all this hand stitching I think it might be worth investing in a thimble!












I've started to use some decorative stitches to hand quilt the petals. Before I move onto making a couple of Suffolk Puffs to use as the center of the flowers. Pale pink polka dot for the Cath Kidston side, and tiny turquoise butterflies for the other. Once that is all finished it's time to line the bag...I've chosen a lovely deep purple cotton.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...